Welcome to AllArtWorks Featured Artist Series!
1. What other profession is similar to being an artist and why?
Writing is similar in many ways. There is always the challenge of working to make a living and working to be independently creative. Finding something relevant to write about is similar to an artist’s journey.
2. What’s the nicest thing you can remember someone said about your work, or an individual piece?
When people take time, notice the mysterious qualities and talk about the unexpected imagery I feel is the nicest or most satisfying comment.
3. What’s one thing you’d like everyone to know about you as an artist?
That I am not afraid to experiment and change my style or medium. Ultimately, my art will include all the elements I have experimented with - a composite of my life’s work in each work of art.
4. What was the last piece of art that you saw that blew you away?
I can’t say there is one work of art that blew me away because there are so many great works being made every day! I see the montage of great work on Instagram and then I go back to my art books of the celebrated artists. The last great art show I visited was Art Basel Miami in 2019 and that was inspiring!
5. What’s something you haven’t done but you want to do in art/painting?
Something monumental like a mural or public work where people can see it in their daily lives and help brighten their day!
When I was in art school I loved Ingres drawings and tried to perfect my drawings like his. Now I prefer the looser style of Delacroix and the passion in his paintings.
*The reason we ask about Delacroix and Ingres is because they were contemporaries with wildly different styles!