Welcome to AllArtWorks Featured Artist Series!
1. What other profession is similar to being an artist and why?
Interesting question. One suggestion would be being a small farmer. A farmer shapes the land, adds layers of elements to the soil and creates food as if by magic along with nature - like an artist.
2. What’s the nicest thing you can remember someone said about your work, or an individual piece?
The nicest thing is when someone buys my work and brings it into their home. This says it all to me. That action indicates that the new owner wants to see my artwork every day.
3. What’s one thing you’d like everyone to know about you as an artist?
That making art is a magical way of living for me and it happens everyday even if I’m capturing an idea on a napkin.
4. What was the last piece of art that you saw that blew you away?
I’m continually blown away by Albert Pinkham Ryder, Charles Burchfield and Arthur Dove’s works but lately I’ve been looking at Lois Dodd’s simple and cleanly composed masterworks.
5. What’s something you haven’t done but you want to do in art/painting?
I’d like to spend a few years diving into sculpture works. I’ve had an interest in cement and fiber but not necessarily together.
Delacroix because occasionally he had the confidence to speak directly to the viewer about his reality as an artist even amid the egos of the royalty who were his patrons.
*The reason we ask about Delacroix and Ingres is because they were contemporaries with wildly different styles!