Welcome to AllArtWorks Featured Artist Series!
1. What other profession is similar to being an artist and why?
Any profession or life is like being an artist when you live in the present with passion, awareness and are moved by simple beauty.
2. What’s the nicest thing you can remember someone said about your work, or an individual piece?
The coolest thing I’ve heard someone say about my work is that the colors were so vivid they felt like they could taste it.
3. What’s one thing you’d like everyone to know about you as an artist?
What I would like everyone to know about me as an artist is that when I paint I have such a sense of urgency. Like it bubbles up out of me. Almost as if it is something that happens to me. I crave to express these feelings of energy, this unrefined, raw, even unfinished impulse that bounces around in me.
4. What was the last piece of art that you saw that blew you away?
Most of the art I see is on Instagram. I love a lot of it.
5. What’s something you haven’t done but you want to do in art/painting?
One thing I would love to do is to have several days where I could paint nonstop. It would be fun to have a huge space to paint in. To paint a mural 40 feet long. I would use my whole body and wildly apply paint. When I’m painting, one stroke leads to another. I have to start painting to find out what I’m going to paint.
I like Delacroix better than Ingres. Ingres is good at recreating a real looking scene. We have cameras for that. Delacroix’s work has more energy and more expressive strokes.
*The reason we ask about Delacroix and Ingres is because they were contemporaries with wildly different styles!