Welcome to AllArtWorks Featured Artist Series!
1. What other profession is similar to being an artist and why?
Acting is similar to being a visual artist because we can keep working as we get older, and both genres encompass the capability to get better as we work and as we age. A lot of competition promotes bravery and creativity.
2. What’s the nicest thing you can remember someone said about your work, or an individual piece?
That I painted my suffering spirit in my self portrait, which caused her to cry.
3. What’s one thing you’d like everyone to know about you as an artist?
I never give up.
4. What was the last piece of art that you saw that blew you away?
The statue of David in the Accademia Gallery in Florence. The massive size and the way white light bouncing off of it created rainbows, like it was breathing.
5. What’s something you haven’t done but you want to do in art/painting?
I would like to sculpt the human nude form in clay on a massive scale.
I like Delecroix better because his work is more powerful, exuding brushstrokes on an emotional level. His self portraits and paintings are superb. The yellow coat and flimpit hair! OMG! His work was also political and brave. Whereas Ingres's work is too pretty, though fun to look at the detail. He fails to capture the soul of the individual.
*The reason we ask about Delacroix and Ingres is because they were contemporaries with wildly different styles!