Welcome to AllArtWorks Featured Artist Series!
1. What other profession is similar to being an artist and why?
I would say architecture. This profession definitely has most of the elements that artists use in terms of design and uses of creative genius, and even the building and construction aspects of concepts.
2. What’s the nicest thing you can remember someone said about your work, or an individual piece?
I remember someone telling me that my work in general made them feel "empowered and revived."
3. What’s one thing you’d like everyone to know about you as an artist?
That my creative process includes writing as I sketch and conceptualize. This has been a developing habit for me for a while now and I suggest any artist to try this out if you haven’t already.
4. What was the last piece of art that you saw that blew you away?
A video art piece that was produced by an art colleague entitled "What If Black Boys Were Butterflies." I thought the story and message was powerful.
5. What’s something you haven’t done but you want to do in art/painting?
I have not made a complete wood carved sculpture. Would love to try that.
I like Delacroix. His style and expression in painting is similar to mine. Also his work came at a shift in the style of traditional art history. Ingres kept the Classical Greek standard in his work, while Delacroix pushed outside those boundaries. I want my art to push boundaries as well.
*The reason we ask about Delacroix and Ingres is because they were contemporaries with wildly different styles!